The United Kingdom leaving the European Union will impact citizens and economic stakeholders.
Businesses, get prepared for Brexit
In case of withdrawal without agreement of the United Kingdom from the European Union, the border between France and the United Kingdom will be restored. Therefore, you will have to carry out customs formalities at import and export (documentary controls, controls of goods, payment of duties and taxes).
French Customs and its partners have anticipated those formalities and controls in order to ensure the continuity and fluidity of trade between France and the United Kingdom. Now, you also have to anticipate the end of the free movement of goods. The control of your delivery delays, your costs, your international competitiveness depend on your preparation
Video about the Trade and cooperation agreement
Preparing for Brexit
GVMS guide (2nd edition)
- For Hauliers, Carriers, Intermediaries and Border Locations [PDF UK]
- This guide is designed to provide additional detail to supplement gov.uk guidance.It brings together the key aspects of using the Goods Vehicle Movement Service to move goods between Great Britain and the EU and is not intended to replace any guidance on gov.uk.
Notes to operators
Transit and TIR management methods as part of the Smart Border for import and export flow
Rules concerning offices en route as part of Brexit common transit operations
- Memorandum to operators - Rules concerning offices of transit as part of Brexit common transit operations
Movement of reusable pallets (EU and non-EU)
Circulation of EU and third country reusable packaging and it's annex 71-01
- Memorandum to operators - Free circulation of EU and third country reusable packaging
- Memorandum to operators - Model of Annex 71-01
EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement
Health and customs treatment of SPS goods (veterinary and phytosanitary) for Brexit
- Memorandum to operators - The smart border
- Appendix 1 - Smart border IT architecture
- Appendix 2 - Smart border process diagram
- Appendix 3 - Import and export pairing synopsis
Fallback procedures in the framework of the smart border
- Factsheet no. 1: Fallback procedure for SI Brexit (entry)
Safety-security, clearance and transit formalities
- Factsheet no. 2: Fallback procedure in common transit as part of the SI Brexit (entry)
NCTS failure prior to filing the common transit declaration
- Factsheet no. 3: Fallback procedure in common transit as part of the SI Brexit (entry)
Delta T failure after filing the common transit declaration
- Factsheet no. 8: Fallback procedure for exports as part of Brexit
Delta G + ECS + SI Brexit + Delta T
- Factsheet no. 9: ICS fallback procedure as part of the Smart Border
Inform yourself and ask questions:
- Throughout dedicated adresses:
- During information meetings organised all around France with customs experts:
- find here the calendar : agenda of the customs-business meetings.
Carry out your impact assessment. French services including French Customs can help you.
Ask questions to the Customs Business Consulting Unit.
Exchange with your instructing participants
Carriers, forwarders, clients, suppliers, subcontractors, etc., and make sure to exchange all necessary information.
Subscribe on douane.gouv.fr
You only need your personal details and your SIRET number.
Get your EORI number online on
douane.gouv.fr using "SOPRANO-AS".
Keep the control on your customs formalities and read the French Customs guidelines to get prepared to Brexit.
- (en) Companies - 6 questions to prepare for Brexit [english subtitles VIDEO]
- (en) Brexit | The Import Control System (ICS) [english subtitles VIDEO]
- (en) What to scan and what not to scan to enter France [VIDEO]
- (en) UK government website
- (en) Brexit.gouv.fr - French government website for the Brexit
- (en) Working through Brexit together - Full dossier
- (en) French Customs for business - Full dossier
- (en) Brexit: The smart border
- (en) Brexit: Economic operators, frequently asked questions